Saturday 26 November 2011

New York Beauty Cushion!

Way back in November 2007 I was on a workshop learning how to paper/foundation piece the New York Beauty block.  


I only got as far as making two blocks and have got no further since.  










So having made two orphan string blocks into a cushion I thought why not do the same with these two....




I am again using Aurifil 28 to quilt this cushion but this time in a lip smacking  red colour 2250.




Love it so far and I am trying to bring out the Art Deco feel of the block - a period of decoration I love for it's very graphic and almost modern feel.










So it is angles juxtaposed with curves, graphic, bright colours and a textured feel.







The quilting so far has suggested itself to be honest but I am thoroughly stumped by those blank bits....so far I have tried curves and a sort of trefoil shape but have unpicked both but maybe the answer is staring me in the face - do I need negative space here to counteract the busyness elsewhere?








The back - I like to get my money's worth in whatever I do and seem drawn to decorate the back almost as much as the front on most things  - be it quilt, cushion...whatever!








This back is absolutely plain so I am wanting a textural pattern to FMQ - daring I know but good practice I feel...


Liking the look of this one from Leah Day called Wind Stitch but it is in the advanced category rather than the beginner section which I found testing enough!






Ah well maybe I just need to practice!  An awful lot!



9 comments:

  1. It looks great! How about echoing the curves? Hope other people have better suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get you and your FMQ aspirations!
    Love the negative space me - or is that because I am lazy? Either way it is looking good, and will be great to have another finish x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm as lazy as Hadley - go with the negative space. The blocks are amazing and love that you chose a strong colour to quilt with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blocks look fab! Great idea to make them into a cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love NY Beauty - keep going, it's looking fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quilting and the bright fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh learning how to machine quilt is an art form in itself!
    I have always wanted to make a NYB quilt
    one of these days.....

    good luck with the machine quilting....oh wind stitch looks interesting
    practice, practice practice....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am no help as it took me years to pluck up the courage to FMQ my NYB. You seem to be doing a great job by yourself and at least it will be finished.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...