Friday 14 October 2011

FMQ-athon!

Sewing didn't happen on Thursday so my FMQ Friday happened on Friday!  My friend came over to sew with me but ended up doing Psychology revision..and I got going with FMQ Drop Art!

Was it the company?  The lunch?  The pattern?  What was it? ...don't know but I got into a happy place, embraced drop art and started enjoying it!  I did notice the tension was decidedly off but didn't worry about it and practiced shapes, control, speeding up and slowing down - trying to match my hand to foot speed.

I think having done the FM applique helps me so - no more beating about the bush...


 First attempt




Second Attempt - front


and back...



Third attempt - front



and back...


Then I thought why not try the next pattern - loved that one too though mine looks like a slate roof rather than a splashback...

Front


and back - the thread got loose from the tension guide - hence the bird nest soup in the corner, but apart from that not too bad I thought!


Then I got all Christmassy and started to doodle my own pattern.....houses and wonky Christmas trees with clouds in between!

Front 


and back....


Lastly a little suburban number with houses, a tree, clouds and a sun!




The main differences between this week and last week - afternoon sewing, in good light, relaxed and I understood what I was trying to do!  Beginning to get there I think...but quilting one little strip is a million miles from doing a whole quilt.  Although I could do it Quilt as you go style I suppose!

Much happier about this week....before I started and with the result - relaxing for me is the key!


Linking up to Cindy's FMQ Friday!




20 comments:

  1. Love all your practices but especialy love the trees and the house and clouds! It's just like drawing with your sewing machine isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they're amazing!! You're so good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you got the bug! doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell woman!! Trees and clouds! I give up now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Crap!!! From a beginner to houses, trees...whole landscapes?! In two weeks? Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Nicky, now you are just showing off! Its not a competition you know ;-)
    If it was, you'd be winning (no offence to other fmq'ers!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well look at you! Excellent work! Drops look fab, as do the trees/houses...I'm dreading next week's grid looking thing, but you've made it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drops are perfect, and don't get me strarted on the grand master stuff going on after that...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super impressed by your work this week - especially the rain drops and your landscape. Clearly relaxed is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, u really dug in and got a lot done! Love your improv design! Definitely try qayg, I'm doing it right now on my summer sampler series quilt and I'm really digging how it's working out so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Great Job! This is so much fun to see how everyone is doing, can't wait to see how fast we all improve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done SS. All that practice and playing is paying off. Keep up the good work. I have heard it said that a glass of wine helps with the relaxation - both FMQ and wine could be addictive though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG look at you go! I'm in awe - I was looking at your drop art thinking I should definitely give mine a 2nd go and then I saw the rest. Flippin' fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - I'm impressed with your progress - extreme FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING!! Nicky you rock at this :) I adore those houses! Truly you now have to fmq everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love the trees and house! You are a natural and I can see that you will be doing all sorts of wonderful things in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy for you! Look at your massive break through - drops that look like drops, slates that are actual squares and honest to goodness FMQ-ing scenes! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, you really got the bit between your teeth! It all looks fantastic. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Nicky,

    just found out you have a blog too. Shame on me! And you do such nice things. I came along these FM-lessons earlier this day. Your drops and trees look cute. I have to try this too.
    Best wishes
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...